In 1929 Joseph E. and Lulu McAdams purchased the adjoining farms of Pearl Forgy and Charles F. Shearer for the purpose of laying out a country estate. Joseph chose this location because he was very active in business in both Springfield and Dayton. He began immediately making plans for his country home and laying out plans for the roadways and landscape. An old schoolhouse, located at the entrance the main driveway, was revamped as a lodge. They named their estate Stoney Ridge. The following year the McAdams purchased more adjacent properties from Frost Dille and Etta McGinnis. Throughout the years Joseph and Lulu accumulated other adjacent farms adding them to the original property making the farm nearly 700 acres.
The three-storied main home is located a half-mile from the main road, reached by a winding lane lined with a split rail fence. The first story rooms including two bathrooms and a spacious living room with a large fireplace, a balcony, and a beam ceiling. The second and third floors contain four bedrooms and three more bathrooms. Across the beautiful lawn down the hill is an in-ground swimming pool fed by a spring.
Mr. McAdams was known worldwide as a breeder of show horses. In 1936 he began construction of one of the largest barns in Clark County to house his stable of fine saddle horses. It had approximately 25 box stalls measuring 12 feet by 12 feet, and an office and equipment rooms. The barn was 160 feet long and 40 feet wide. After Mr. McAdams’ retirement in 1956 he changed his interests to Herefords and swine. He purchased a very outstanding “Mill Iron” registered Hereford bull to be used to increase the quality of his Show Herd as well as general breeding. The breeding and selling of young bulls and heifers was very successful. When Mr. McAdams passed away in 1965 Stoney Ridge farm was one of the largest suppliers of pork in this part of Ohio, sending about 2000 hogs to market each year. The farm maintained its own grain storage and dryer operations. Lulu died in 1970 and was entombed into the family mausoleum next to her husband in the New Carlisle Cemetery.