In 1938, Norman and Theresa Morris opened a small automotive repair and scrap part shop on South Pike Street. It was located approximately where the back parking lot of Ride-Aid now sits. A year later the business was moved to its present location at 690 Quick Road Quick Road and was named New Carlisle Auto Parts. The business operated there for seven years before the Morris family purchased the 16.4 acres property from Guy and Ella Studebaker. The property was purchase on December 4, 1946.
During World War 2 the business played major role for the area by serving as a collection base for rubber (tires) and scrap metals. In 1949, the business expanded its operation to include towing. The business continued to grow in the 50’s and 60’s and additional five acres were purchased from Wendell and Blanche Brubaker on October 11, 1965 to accommodate the scrap metal side of the business.
In 1958, after graduating from Tecumseh, Norman’s son Sonny joined the business. After Norman passed away on December 14, 1959, Sonny took control of the business and has played a major role in its daily operation for the last 57 years.
In 1985, Sonny’s son Chris became the third generation to join the business by overseeing the towing side of the business and slowly learning all aspects of the business. Sonny still plays an active role in the business and helps in the managing of the operation, while Chris has started to assume a larger role.
This year marks the 78th year of the New Carlisle Auto Parts serving our town, which makes it one of the longest operating business in the area.