New Carlisle Fire crews were called to La Condesa Grocery Store at 119 S. Main St. on Monday afternoon after the staff smelled smoke in the building.

Fire crews determined the culprit to be a fluorescent light fixture ballast. Power to the fixture was disconnected and the owners were advised to call an electrician.

“He did the right thing by calling 911,” said New Carlisle Fire Chief Steve Trusty. “Had this happened at 3:00 a.m., we would have been here at 4:00 with flames shooting out of the windows.”

Main Street was blocked for about a half hour while fire crews investigated.

Local News

Stories on people, places, events and businesses right here in Western Clark County.

Local Government

Meetings and news from local Boards of Education, Township Trustees and County Commissioners.

Sports

Arrows, Bees & Warriors; we cover all local high school sports, as well as local semi-pro and adult leagues