At the April 4, 2018 meeting of the Clark County Commissioners, Clark County Utilities & Solid Waste District Director Chuck Bauer provided Clark County Commissioners with an annual update on the Clark County Solid Waste District accomplishments for 2017. He reported that for Environment Enforcement, the Solid Waste District received 510 environmental complaints. These complaints resulted in the district cleaning up 293 dumpsites, investigation of 146 complaints, and the arrest of 5 people. The district cleaned up 78 tons of illegally dumped trash, plus 726 tires and hundreds of other bulk items. They also pick up 1,406 trash bags of debris from township roads.

In addition, to Environmental Enforcement, the District provided specialty recycling to the community. As a result, they collected 200 appliances containing CFC, 31 tons of TVs and computer monitors, over 800 fluorescent bulbs, 10.4 tons of paper for shredding, and 17 tons of paint.

They also collected 8,656 pounds of household hazardous waste (HHW) for which they charged a $1 per pound. HHW is available at the 1602 W Main Street location every Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and the first Saturday of every month from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Bauer also said that the county has five residential recycling stations throughout the county from which they collected 467 tons of glass, plastic and metal, 354 tons of paper, 10 tons of books and 212 tons of cardboard.

In addition, Bauer said that the district has a Community Cleanup Trailer that is available to any group in the community that has a cleanup project that they would like to do. The trailer is stocked with gardening tools, gloves, wheel barrels, etc. Four groups involving 209 volunteers used the trailer in 2017 collecting 117 bags of trash and yard waste. They also planted flowers and grass. Bauer said, “I would like to see more groups take advantage of this resource that we have available to the community.”

He also reminded the commissioners that The Great American Cleanup is March 1, 2018 through May 31, 2018 and the eighth Annual Downtown Cleanup is scheduled for April 21, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. through 12:00 p.m.

In regular business, the commissioners authorized a contract for the Engineering Department for $147,841 to DLZ Ohio Inc. for construction inspection for the Croft Road Construction project effective April 4, 2018 through December 15, 3018.

They also amended the agreement with the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) for the Croft Road Project to an estimated $3,062,058.58. ODOT will provide 80% of the eligible design cost, right of way cost, and construction costs from Federal Funds. The remaining 20% will be covered from the Toll Revenue Funds.

In addition, the commissioners authorized the purchase of a 2018 Silverado Pickup Double Cap for $35,870.50 from Coughlin Automotive for the Engineering Department.

For the Clark County Sheriff’s Department, the commissioners authorized the Clark County Sheriff’s office to purchase security services for the Department of Job and Family Services campus effective April 1, 2018 through March 31, 2019.

They also authorized a grant submission to the Ohio Attorney General for a D.A.R.E Grant for $55,862.43 to pay a portion of two D.A.R.E Officer Salaries effective September 1, 2018 through August 31, 2019.

For the Utilities Department, the commissioners authorized a contract with American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees to act as a bargaining unit for Utilities Department employees May 1, 2018 through April 30, 2021.

Commissioner Richard Lohnes reported that the County is working on a grant to study the best method for addressing the flooding on Tillie Lane. He said, “We can pay for the solution, but we can pay to determine the best fix for the problem.

The next meeting of the Clark County Commissioners is scheduled for April 11, 2018 at 8:30 a.m. in the Commissioners Conference Room at 50 E Columbia Street.

First Group 2x2
First Group 2x2
Local News

Stories on people, places, events and businesses right here in Western Clark County.

Local Government

Meetings and news from local Boards of Education, Township Trustees and County Commissioners.


Arrows, Bees & Warriors; we cover all local high school sports, as well as local semi-pro and adult leagues