Fire House Betty Cain

On March 22, 1966 the city of New Carlisle order the removal of the fire bell from belfry of the Town Hall, which was located at South West corner of Main and Washington Street. The bell had hung in the building since 1895 when it was installed after 1895 fire that had destroyed the old town hall earlier that year. It was cast at the Buckeye Bell Foundry in Cincinnati and sold to New Carlisle by the E.W. Vanduzen Company, which also operated out of Cincinnati.

The main function of the bell was to alert the town of fires and other emergencies. It was used for the next 32 years, until 1927 when it succumbed to the advances in communication technology.

Fire Chief Louie Baker was placed in charge of the project with the assistance of three other people (Jim Morris, Wes Crumpler, and Bernie Chiles). The three men had difficulty lowering the 420-pound bell down on to the street with ropes and chains.

With the suggestion of K.D. Snider of the fire department, the bell was moved to the new firehouse on North Church Street. A special bronze plaque was added to the based of the memorial with the inscription, “ In memory of Those Who Served”.

Last week marked the 50th anniversary of the bell being moved to the new firehouse.

Local News

Stories on people, places, events and businesses right here in Western Clark County.

Local Government

Meetings and news from local Boards of Education, Township Trustees and County Commissioners.

Sports

Arrows, Bees & Warriors; we cover all local high school sports, as well as local semi-pro and adult leagues